Can anyone clarify the correct sequence for handling WebSocket reconnection logic when integrating with the NICE CXone Notification API in Node.js? I am building a service to ingest real-time adherence events via wss://api.niceincontact.com/notifications/v1/stream. The initial connection works fine, but when the connection drops and my client attempts to reconnect, the server often rejects the handshake or returns stale state data.
I am using the native ws library. My current implementation closes the existing socket, waits 2 seconds, and then initiates a new connection with the same auth token. The issue seems to be that the server-side subscription context is not fully cleared or is being reused incorrectly, leading to duplicate events or missing updates immediately after reconnection.
The problem is that after the reconnect, I receive a flood of historical data that I have already processed, or sometimes no data at all for a few minutes. The documentation is vague on whether the subscription state persists across WebSocket instances.
I have tried sending an explicit unsubscribe action before closing the socket, but the server still seems to maintain the subscription context.
I have verified that the OAuth token is valid and not expiring during the reconnection window.
What is the robust pattern for ensuring clean state restoration? Should I be using a specific query parameter or header to force a fresh subscription context?
This looks like a state synchronization issue. The NICE WebSocket API does not support automatic state recovery on reconnect; you must fetch the current snapshot via REST first.
Call GET /api/v2/notifications/channels to get the baseline.
Pass the latest sequenceId from that response into the WebSocket subscribe payload.
This looks like a synchronization gap between the WebSocket subscription payload and the actual server state. In my CXone integrations, I avoid relying solely on the WebSocket sequenceNumber for initial state recovery because it often leads to drift or rejection if the connection was down during a high-volume event window. Instead, I recommend performing a REST-based snapshot query immediately after a reconnection event to establish a clean baseline.
Use the Reporting API to retrieve a recent adherence snapshot. Query for adherence data covering the period immediately before the disconnection. This ensures your downstream processing never misses a record.
Make sure you fetch the latest state via REST before resubscribing. The suggestion above about using the notifications channels endpoint is correct. Here is my Guzzle workflow:
Depends on your setup, but generally the state drift you are observing stems from the WebSocket client attempting to resume a stream without validating the current server-side sequence context. The suggestion above regarding fetching a REST baseline is correct, but the implementation details matter significantly for Node.js environments using the ws library.
Cause:
The NICE CXone Notification API rejects reconnection attempts if the provided sequenceId is stale or if the subscription payload does not strictly match the current server state. When the connection drops, events continue to process on the server. If your client reconnects with an old sequenceId, the server detects a gap or invalid state, resulting in a handshake rejection or the delivery of stale data that disrupts your adherence logic.
Solution:
Implement a strict “REST-first” recovery pattern within your reconnection handler. Before initiating the new WebSocket handshake, you must query the current state via REST to obtain the latest sequenceId. Ensure your Node.js ws client waits for this HTTP response to complete before sending the subscribe message.
Here is a robust pattern for handling this in Node.js: