WebSocket drops during Cognigy handoff causing audio lag

Running into a weird issue with our AppFoundry integration. We’re bridging Genesys Cloud Web Messaging to a NICE Cognigy bot. The setup works fine for text, but as soon as we attempt a voice transfer or complex audio-based interaction via the WebSocket event stream, the connection drops after about 15 seconds.

I’ve got a simple Node.js listener for the events. It’s subscribing to webchat:messages and webchat:presence. The drop happens right when the Cognigy bot sends the handoff payload. Here’s the listener logic:

ws.on('message', (data) => {
 const msg = JSON.parse(data);
 if (msg.event === 'webchat:messages') {
 console.log('Received:', msg.data);
 }
});

The logs show a 1006: Abnormal Closure immediately after the bot responds. No 401s or auth errors in the Genesys logs. Just a hard disconnect.

Audio latency spikes to 300ms right before the drop. I’m guessing it’s a buffer issue or maybe the Cognigy endpoint isn’t keeping the WebSocket alive? We’re using the standard event stream.

Has anyone seen this with Cognigy specifically? The SDK docs don’t mention timeout thresholds for bot handoffs. Checking if I need to send a heartbeat manually.