Recording API PUT request returns 400 Bad Request when stopping via Laravel

So I’m seeing a very odd bug with the Recording API when trying to programmatically stop a call recording from my Laravel backend.

  • I am currently building a feature in our PHP application that allows supervisors to halt recordings of specific interactions directly from the dashboard. The goal is to use the Genesys Cloud REST API to send a command to stop the recording without ending the call itself.
  • I have successfully retrieved the active recording ID by polling the active conversations. I filter the response array in PHP to find the recording object where state equals active and the conversationId matches our target session. This part works fine and I get a valid recordingId string.
  • The issue arises when I attempt to update the recording status. According to the Genesys Cloud API documentation, I should be able to use a PUT request to update the recording state. I am using Guzzle to send this request with the appropriate headers, including the Bearer token which I know is valid because other calls succeed.
  • Here is the specific code block I am using in my Laravel service class:
$response = $client->put("/api/v2/conversations/calls/{$conversationId}/recordingstate", [
'json' => [
'state' => 'stopped',
'reason' => 'supervisor_request'
]
]);
  • However, every single time I execute this, I receive a 400 Bad Request error. The response body contains a generic error message saying “Invalid request body” but does not specify which field is causing the issue. I have verified that the JSON payload is correctly encoded and that the recordingId is not null.
  • I have tried sending the payload as raw JSON in the body parameter instead of using the json key in Guzzle, but the result is identical. I am wondering if there is a specific format requirement for the state change payload that is not clearly documented, or if I am missing a required field like endTime or duration.
  • Has anyone else encountered this issue while trying to stop recordings via the API? I am based in Mexico City and working during standard business hours, so I can test fixes quickly if anyone has a working example of the correct payload structure.
2 Likes

This happens because the payload structure mismatch between your Laravel serializer and the strict schema expected by the Genesys Cloud Recording API. The PUT endpoint for stopping a recording does not accept an empty body or a generic JSON object. It requires a specific RecordingStopRequest object.

Verify your curl command first to isolate the SDK serialization issue:

curl -X PUT "https://api.mypurecloud.com/api/v2/conversations/calls/{conversationId}/recordingstate" \
 -H "Authorization: Bearer {ACCESS_TOKEN}" \
 -H "Content-Type: application/json" \
 -d '{
 "reason": "Supervisor halted recording via dashboard"
 }'

If the curl succeeds but your PHP client fails, your Laravel code is likely sending {} or null. The API rejects empty payloads with a 400 Bad Request. You must include the reason field.

In PHP, ensure your HTTP client constructs the body explicitly:

use GuzzleHttp\Client;

$client = new Client(['base_uri' => 'https://api.mypurecloud.com/']);

$response = $client->put("api/v2/conversations/calls/{$conversationId}/recordingstate", [
 'headers' => [
 'Authorization' => "Bearer {$token}",
 'Content-Type' => 'application/json'
 ],
 'json' => [
 'reason' => 'Supervisor halted recording via dashboard'
 ]
]);

The reason field is mandatory for audit trails. Omitting it triggers validation errors on the provider side. If you are using a wrapper library, check if it strips empty optional fields. This is a common contract violation in consumer-driven testing scenarios where the consumer assumes optional fields can be omitted entirely.

Note: The recording state transition is not instantaneous. Poll the recording metadata until state equals stopped before attempting to download or archive the file.