Programmatically ending a Web Messaging session via API

Hey folks,

We’ve got a custom backend service handling some post-chat logic, and I need to programmatically close out a Genesys Cloud Web Messaging session once our workflow is done. The goal is to terminate the conversation on the Genesys side so it stops counting as active and triggers the proper routing state changes.

I’ve been digging through the Web Messaging API docs, but the options seem pretty sparse for server-side session management. I’m trying to find a way to end the conversation via the API, but the available endpoints don’t seem to offer a direct “end conversation” action for web messaging sessions.

Here is the context of what I’m working with:

# Attempting to manage the session via available webmessaging endpoints
GET /api/v2/webmessaging/messages
Authorization: Bearer <token>
Content-Type: application/json

I keep getting stuck because there isn’t a clear endpoint to terminate the session server-side. The error I’m effectively hitting is a lack of functionality rather than a 403 Forbidden response, as the specific “end” action path I was looking for doesn’t appear in the current spec. I’ve verified the token is valid by checking my client details in the developer console, and it returns the correct client information. I’ve also granted the client all the webmessaging:conversation scopes I can find in the developer console.

Is there a specific endpoint intended for external backends to end these sessions? Or am I missing a specific scope or permission setting on the client credentials? I know I can end the chat from the agent desktop, but we need this to happen automatically after our webhook processes the data.

Any ideas on how to achieve this programmatically? I’ve tried adding the webmessaging:session scope too, but no luck.

3 Likes