Outbound contact list POST returns 400 INVALID_VALUE on valid JSON

Hitting a wall trying to create a new contact list via the /api/v2/outbound/contactlists endpoint. The payload is minimal, just the name and description, yet it keeps rejecting with a 400 Bad Request.

The error body is cryptic:

{
 "errors": [
 {
 "code": "INVALID_VALUE",
 "message": "Invalid value for field 'name'"
 }
 ]
}

Here’s the request body I’m sending:

{
 "name": "Test List Sydney",
 "description": "Automated test list"
}

I’ve checked the schema docs. The name field is supposed to be a simple string. I’ve tried removing the space, using underscores, and even just “Test”. Same error. The description field is optional, so that shouldn’t matter.

Curious if there’s a hidden validation rule I’m missing. The API key has full outbound permissions. I can fetch existing lists without issue. It’s just the creation that fails.

Any ideas? I’ve been staring at this for an hour and it’s driving me nuts.

3 Likes

The name field in that endpoint isn’t just a string, it’s a validation trap. You’re probably sending whitespace or a name that already exists in the same division, which triggers that generic INVALID_VALUE error instead of a duplicate key message. Try stripping the string and using a unique ID suffix.

{
 "name": "Campaign_Contacts_v2",
 "description": "Test list",
 "division": {
 "id": "your-division-id-here"
 }
}

Check the division ID. If you omit it, the API defaults to the global division, and if you’ve run this test before, it fails silently with 400. Also, ensure Content-Type: application/json is set explicitly. Some HTTP clients default to form-encoded, which breaks the parser.