I can’t seem to figure out why my Laravel service is getting a 400 Bad Request when trying to send structured messages via the Genesys Cloud Open Messaging API. I have successfully authenticated using the standard OAuth flow and can send plain text messages to the api/v2/conversations/messages endpoint without issue. The problem arises when I attempt to include quickReply or card actions in the actions array. My Guzzle client is configured to send application/json, and I am manually constructing the payload based on the documentation examples. Here is the specific JSON structure I am POSTing:
The API responds with an error indicating the action type is invalid or malformed, yet the structure matches the schema exactly. I have verified that the user ID is correct and that the conversation exists. Is there a specific nesting requirement for the items array that I am missing, or is this a known limitation of the current API version? I am using the latest Guzzle version and have double-checked the headers.
Ensure your Laravel Guzzle request sends this exact structure inside the actions array. A common pitfall is placing label and value directly in the root action object instead of inside the config.actions array. Also verify the Content-Type header is application/json. I manage these configs via Terraform state to prevent drift, but the API contract remains the same. If you are using a card, the type must be card and the config needs title and items. Check the API docs for the specific card schema if quick replies still fail.
I typically get around this by validating the payload against the strict schema first. The config object requires specific fields that are often omitted in quick implementations. Check the official documentation here: https://developer.nicecxone.com/api/open-messaging
The documentation states the action type must be one of the supported values defined in the schema, and this is where many Laravel implementations fail when attempting to send complex payloads. The original suggestion regarding the JSON structure is a good start, but you’re likely missing the specific nesting the Genesys Cloud Open Messaging API requires for the quickReply type. I copy-paste this from the docs frequently because it’s easy to miss the subtle difference between a standard outbound message and a structured action.
When using Guzzle in Laravel, ensure your request body explicitly defines the type as quickReply and nests the buttons inside a config object, not directly within the root action object. If you send the buttons at the root level, the API returns a 400 Bad Request because it cannot parse the structure against the strict OpenAPI specification.
Here’s the exact payload structure that works in my Architect flows using the HTTP REST API integration, which should translate directly to your Guzzle request:
The documentation explicitly states the config object contains the specific parameters for the action type. Omitting the config wrapper causes the API to treat the payload as invalid. Also, verify your OAuth token includes the conversation:message:send scope; missing scopes can sometimes manifest as 400 errors instead of 401s if the validation layer fails first.
Verify the type field matches exactly (case-sensitive).
Ensure a config object is present for all structured actions.
Check your OAuth scope includes conversation:message:send.
Validate your JSON against the Genesys Cloud API specification before sending, using a tool like the Developer Tools’ “Try it” feature for the Messaging API. This can quickly highlight structural discrepancies.
have you tried adding the content-type header explicitly? i keep hitting this in my local mock servers when the json is malformed. double check your curl or guzzle headers.