Cursor pagination truncates Cognigy log streams during high-volume GET requests

Hey everyone,

Problem

I’m encountering a persistent issue with the API integration on my hybrid platform. When I run a request to query log messages using SESSIONID and TIMESTAMP boundaries, the endpoint returns a 429. The CURSOR ceases to advance, causing fetchLogStream() to loop the same OFFSET block indefinitely.

Response

{ "code": 429, "message": "Rate limit exceeded", "cursor": "eyJvZmZzZXQiOjE5OH0=" }

Error Analysis

The STORAGEQUOTA is reporting 78%. It seems the system is aggressively throttling GET calls. The stream terminates at OFFSET: 198.

Mitigation Attempt

I attempted to switch the ACCEPT header to application/x-ndjson. While this helps bypass the rate limit, parseJsonStream() begins dropping EVENTTYPE payloads.

Question

Has anyone experienced this CURSOR stalling behavior with SESSIONID/TIMESTAMP filtering? Is there a way to retain EVENTTYPE payloads when using application/x-ndjson, or should I adjust the OFFSET strategy to mitigate the 429?

Hi all,

I’m debugging a cursor block issue affecting the queue analytics in the Admin UI. Here is the methodical breakdown:

What was tried:

  • Executed request during high volume.
  • Observed 429 error blocking the cursor.
  • Verified client behavior: Client ignores the RETRY-AFTER header.

What failed:

  • Cursor state locked because the RETRY-AFTER header was ignored.
  • Looping the same OFFSET caused repeated 429 failures.

Solution:

  • Inject an OTEL span to trace the request.
  • Add a backoff loop.
  • Ensure we do NOT loop the same OFFSET.
curl -H "Authorization: Bearer $TOKEN" -H "x-paging-cursor: $NEXT_CURSOR" "https://api.mypurecloud.com/api/v2/externalcontacts/externalsources"

Check the TRACE LOGS.

Question:
Is there a configuration in the Admin UI to force respect for the RETRY-AFTER header on queue analytics endpoints?

1 Like