Clarification on /api/v2/conversations vs /api/v2/analytics/conversations for real-time data

Can anyone clarify the precise boundary between using /api/v2/conversations and the analytics endpoints when building a custom real-time dashboard? I am currently fetching live interaction data via the Platform SDK (genesys-cloud.platformAPI.conversationsApi.getConversations). The latency is acceptable, but I notice that certain metric fields, specifically wrapup_code and queue_wait_time_ms, are either null or inconsistent in the /api/v2/conversations response compared to the historical data I pull from the analytics reporting endpoints.

I understand that the analytics endpoints are designed for historical aggregation and have a delay, but my use case requires near-real-time visibility into active queues. If I switch to the analytics endpoint, I risk getting stale data. However, staying on the conversations API means I have to manually calculate durations and map wrap-up codes, which feels inefficient. Is there a specific threshold or recommendation for when to switch from the operational API to the analytics API? I want to avoid hitting rate limits on the conversations endpoint while ensuring data accuracy for active agents. I have tried querying the analytics endpoints with time filters set to the current minute, but the data often appears empty for active sessions.

Thanks for the help.

The documentation actually says the analytics reporting endpoints are superior for metric aggregation.

  1. Switch to the analytics reporting endpoint.
  2. Use filter=queue_wait_time_ms>0 in your request body.
  3. Apply OAuth scope analytics:read.

This avoids null values from the standard conversation API.

1 Like