Architect Data Action: Mapping nested JSON from external REST call

Hey folks,

I’m trying to build a Data Action in Architect that hits an external REST endpoint and maps the response into local variables. The goal is to pull some adherence status from our legacy WFM tool during a call flow. I’ve got the HTTP request part working, but I’m stuck on the JSON mapping.

Here’s the JSON response I’m getting back from the external API (status 200 OK):

{
 "status": "success",
 "data": {
 "agent_id": "12345",
 "current_state": "Available",
 "last_update": "2023-10-27T14:30:00Z"
 }
}

In the Data Action configuration, I’m trying to map the current_state value to a local variable called agentStatus. I’ve tried a few different JSON path expressions in the mapping field:

  • data.current_state
  • $.data.current_state
  • response.data.current_state

None of them seem to work. The variable stays null after the action completes. I’ve checked the logs and the HTTP request is definitely returning the JSON above.

Is there a specific syntax I need to use for nested objects in the Data Action JSON mapper? Or do I need to flatten the JSON first?

The documentation is pretty vague on this part. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you using the standard Data Action or the newer HTTP Data Action in Genesys Cloud? The mapping syntax differs between them. Assuming you’re stuck on the standard Data Action JSON mapping, here’s how to handle that nested structure.

  • Use dot notation for nested paths. The Genesys Cloud mapper generally prefers dot notation. For your data.agent_id, map it to a variable using response.data.agent_id. Bracket notation can be unreliable.
  • Handle arrays carefully. If data contained an array, you can’t directly map it to a single string variable. Map it to a JSON variable first, then parse it within a subsequent Script action if needed. Consider using the forEach loop in a Script action to iterate through the array elements.
  • Verify the payload structure. Your JSON snippet appears complete, but confirm the entire response body is being parsed. Sometimes the external API returns a content type other than application/json, which prevents the mapper from correctly interpreting the response. In the HTTP request configuration, ensure the Content-Type header is explicitly set to application/json if the API requires it.

Here’s a basic Script action snippet to validate the response structure before attempting mapping in Architect. This helps determine if the path is incorrect.

// Script Action: Validate External API Response
function validateResponse(responseBody) {
 try {
 const data = JSON.parse(responseBody);

 if (!data.data) {
 return { valid: false, reason: "Missing 'data' object" };
 }

 if (!data.data.agent_id) {
 return { valid: false, reason: "Missing 'agent_id'" };
 }

 return { valid: true, agentId: data.data.agent_id };
 } catch (e) {
 return { valid: false, reason: "Invalid JSON" };
 }
}

In Architect, set the Data Action output variable agentId to the expression ${response.data.agent_id}. If this fails, review the raw response log in the Interaction History view. The issue is often a missing or incorrect Content-Type header in the HTTP request configuration. Double-check the outbound request headers to confirm Content-Type: application/json is present if the external API expects it.

3 Likes